Ground Source Heat Pumps

Ground Source Heat Pumps and the RHI

Laying Slinkies
Ground Source heat pumps
Ground source heat pumps take heat from the ground and convert it into energy. Radiation from the sun heats the earth’s surface. The earth stores this heat to a constant temperature of around 8 – 12 degrees Centigrade even in winter time. This converted energy can be used to heat buildings and supply hot water. For every 1 unit of electricity used, 4 unit of heat are produced. Thus, 75% of usable energy arrives free the other 25% comes from the electricity used to power the heat pump. The heat pump removes stored solar energy in the earth around a building, compresses it to a higher temperature and transfers it to the central heating system and hot water storage tank.

 

 

The Renewable Heat Incentive

Tariffs and payments
The Incentive, of which the domestic phase went live in April 2014, has been designed as a means to increase all UK heating generation from renewable energy sources. It will operates in a similar way to the Feed-In Tariff (FIT) as both schemes offer a payment for every kilowatt hour (KW/h) of renewable energy a system produces.
On 11 July 2013 the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) revealed that solar water heating will benefit from a minimum tariff rate of 19.2p/kWh. This rate now sits at 19.51p/kWh for solar thermal applications submitted before January 2016. The Renewable Heat Incentive also applies to other renewable heat systems such as heat pumps and biomass boilers.
Key aspects of the Renewable Heat Incentive
1. The scheme supports a range of technologies, including solar thermal, ground-source heat pumps and biomass.
2. It will support heating at all scales, including households, businesses, offices, public sector buildings and industrial processes in large factories.
3. The payment you receive will be based on the amount of heat your system produces. According to the Department of Energy and Climate Change, the tariff levels are designed to bridge the financial gap between the cost of conventional and renewable heat systems at all scales

Benefits of heat pumps:

  • High Efficiencies > 350%
  • Reduce household running cost
  • Reduce you carbon footprint
  • Reduced VAT from 20% to 5% for domestic applications
  • No gas supply or oil supply required

PV with Solar Age:

  • Professional and friendly service
  • Competitive pricing
  • Local Kent based company

Indoor unit

Ground Source Heat Pump

Layout

Heat exchanger layout

Trenches

Trench